Friday, May 25, 2012

Yes, we have no tahini


When I told Renee that I was headed over to mow
Lily's this morning she said, "your crazy, the only good day 
to mow was yesterday"

I'm really not sure what that meant, but I had three
hours of intimate yard time - did I really write that about
mowing 2 acres of lawn? -
to think about it

I've decided that I live in a Ruth Moore novel

Anyway, something else I was thinking about was my book club
meeting yesterday and how much everyone seemed to enjoy 
the hummus I made.
Since it is a party weekend I thought the recipe might come in handy

Tahini is one of those things that always seems to sit in my pantry
for ever, then when I find a need for it, I've just thrown it away
because it had sat there forever.
So, even with Sarah Britton's recent, very romantic, blog post about it
I have admitted to myself that I don't like it very much

My wonderful Aunt Ethel always made this version of tahini free hummus 
as a tidbit before dinner - I can smell the cukes from her garden that she would
serve with it instead of crackers -

and I have adopted it as my own

Summer Hummus

2 cups cooked or 1 large can of garbanzo beans, drained and rinsed
2 cloves of garlic, rough chopped
A nice sized handful of fresh parsley, roughly chopped
1/4 - 1/2 cup olive oil - I have never measured it -
Juice of 1 juicy lemon
Sea or Kosher salt to taste

Place the beans, garlic, parsley, lemon juice and salt in the bowl
of a food processor.  Add some olive oil, probably most of the 1/4 cup
and process until nice and creamy, or with a bit of texture, whatever you like
add more oil to get the texture you are looking for
taste for salt

Once you get it down the way you like it, think of folding in artichoke hearts,
or roasting the garlic, or using cilantro instead of parsley.......
So many possibilities!

Mostly, enjoy your weekend everyone,
and thank you.

Kyra



No comments:

Post a Comment