Monday, May 21, 2012

Pop Up Dinner Party



About a month ago I bought these awesome wicker chairs at an auction for 
$50.00, I had the cushions from some yard sale years ago, splurged on the pillows
at TJ Maxx and just this week, ordered the lively Dash and Albert outdoor rug
from Dragonfly Dry Goods in Vermont (no shipping fees!)


Then on Monday, I saw this table in a Sundance Catalog for $2200, plus shipping
I showed it to Renee and asked if she thought she could make one - a little bit longer
and little bit narrower


I came home Friday afternoon and this is what I found going on in her shop ~
How awesome is that!  I mean, really.
She got all inspired when she found true 2x4's at the island's very own Barter Lumber Co.


Yes Bob, you are right, it was definitely time for a party!

I knew that Sunday was supposed to be gorgeous so 
I emailed a bunch of people, spur of the moment on Friday evening, and invited them
to a pop up dinner party on Sunday.

 I would supply the wine if everyone brought
a dish to share


 What fun! 
 The food was great, home made gnocchi in tomato sauce, fajitas, quinoa salad, deviled eggs,
and the list goes on....
I made a gluten free strawberry rhubarb crisp that came out
pretty darn good, you will find the recipe below


I thought people would leave when it started to get cold, but
they found quilts or just drank more wine to keep warm!

Everyone laughed and told stories
I am so grateful for friends and the good mingling of energies

One dear friend whispered in my ear last night that he was enjoying me not working
Cheers to that! 


I also love the remnants of good times, especially things left 
by a recent non smoker :-)


We all decided that pop up parties 
were the theme this summer
So do it! and have some fun!

Happy Monday
Kyra

Strawberry Rhubarb Crisp (GF)
pre heat oven to 350 degrees

Filling:
4-5 cups sliced rhubarb
4-5 cups strawberries
2 1/2 T arrowroot powder or 4 T non gmo cornstarch
1 tsp cinnamon
bit of freshly grated nutmeg
1 1/2 tsp grated orange peel
pinch of salt
1/2 cup coconut crystals
1/2 cup maple syrup

Stir to combine and spread into a buttered baking dish, approx. 9x13

Topping:

1 1/2 cups almond meal
1 cup rolled oats
4 T coconut oil - room temp
4 T butter - room temp
1/2 cup honey or 3/4 cup brown rice syrup
1/2 tsp cinnamon
3 T chia seeds soaked in 3 T water for about 15 minutes
pinch of salt

Place all ingredients in the bowl of a food processor and
process to form a dough
Spread in clumps on top of filling and bake until bubbly all the way
thru and the crust is deep golden brown, approx. 45 minutes

Enjoy!



No comments:

Post a Comment