Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Blueberry Scones and other tidbits


Time whipped me around yesterday like I was hanging onto its tail.
I made a soup from the new issue of Martha Stewart Living.  It has red lentils and 
dried cherries in it.  Pretty good.  But, more importantly I think 
I have finally (after 14 years of trying) perfected a gluten free
scone recipe that I am anxious to share with you.  I made them 
with blueberries,
 but I think it will adapt to any additions,
 or none and you can use it as a biscuit or
the base for strawberry shortcake.  Yum!



This kitchen job is progressing nicely.  Freshwater Stone
comes with the granite on Friday, I'll keep you in the loop.
It is so exciting to see it coming together, but it seems to take 
so long!  It is way faster to make and eat a sandwich :-)
I'll have a different one to show you next week.


I am loving my new speaker system from harmon/kardon.
A base woofer sits under the table and these cool speakers fit in with
everything on top.  I can plug my iPod or computer or whatnot in and the sound is
terrific.  I must admit I am a bit smitten with some of our modern technology now that
I have the time to explore it a bit.


And I found this decent chef's knife at TJ Maxx.
My favorite brand, Wusthof, light weight, sharp edge and
it was only $16.99.  I bought two.



 Here is the recipe:
Enjoy!
Kyra

 GLUTEN FREE BLUEBERRY SCONES

2 cups brown rice flour
1/3 cup potato starch
1/4 cup coconut sugar crystals
 (or the sweetener of your choice)
1 T baking powder
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
4 T unsalted butter, cut into pieces
 ( you can use coconut oil instead)
1 1/3 cups coconut milk
1 T pure vanilla extract
1 cup Maine blueberries, fresh or frozen
( Feel free to substitute anything in these. 
 I think next time I will try ginger and shaved unsweetened chocolate)


 Whisk your dry ingredients together in a bowl and
cut in butter with a pastry blender or your fingers until
peas size crumbs form


Toss in your blueberries.  Measure your coconut milk (I use Native Forest brand and it is super creamy, I pour it from the can and whisk it until it's smooth before I measure it) and add your vanilla to it.


 Pour your "cream"mixture into your dry ingredients and gently toss with a rubber spatula
until it is moist and starts to hold together


 Turn dough onto your counter and gently knead it together to form a disk about 1 1/2 inches thick


 Using a biscuit cutter, cut out rounds and place on a baking sheet
Bake in a 400 degree oven until puffed, cracked on top and a tooth pick
comes out with just a few crumbs on it when poked in the center, about
15 minutes.  I turn them once in the oven while baking.
Remove from tray, cool and eat!  
These freeze well too, but you will have better results if you warm them before eating
them after they have been frozen.

No comments:

Post a Comment