Friday, June 8, 2012

First Wine Workshop at Lily's

It is truly amazing the things I am learning over this year of pause
when I let myself just relax and enjoy who I am in this present moment



Here's something;
I love to throw a party

I'm loving it even more now that I get three days to prep for it,
have time to gather flowers from the yard
and haven't served over 200 people lunch two hours prior to the gig


My spring celebration dinner in May was the unveiling of the wall removal between
the two rooms upstairs.  We had just finished the renovation and people 
commented that the acoustics were a bit overwhelming

So I busied myself before this next event
 hanging quilts everywhere and putting a few rugs down

It really seemed to help and I get to look at my quilts!

 

Last night was the kick off of what I hope will become a new pattern at Lily's
Wine experts; Max from Blue Hill Wine Shop, Michael from Vias Imports and Karolyn from Pine State
came together to showcase 18 varietal wines from 10 regions in Italy


I set long tables,  prepared traditional foods, and served the meal family style
24 people tasted, ate and learned as much as they could take
in about wines from Piedmont all the way to Sicily



A bit of the menu: 
Roasted chicken with parsley pesto and rosemary


Pecorino's from Italy via Max's shop connections


Braised greens from Carding Brook Farm


Marinated chic peas with champagne vinegar and red onion





A real hit was my tomato sauce 
You will find the recipe below


And here's my favorite thing to do with the leftovers!

Polenta "fries" made with yesterday's polenta cut into thick fingers, 
pan fried in olive oil until crispy and served
with tomato sauce for dipping
Yummy!

TUSCAN STYLE TOMATO SAUCE

(I made this for a crowd, so you can easily divide the recipe in half for a smaller batch
just use 3 boxes of tomatoes and remember it freezes well)

5 boxes of Pomi chopped tomatoes
2 6oz cans of Muir Glen tomato paste
1 medium yellow onion, finely chopped
6 large cloves of garlic, chopped
1/2 cup olive oil
1/2 - 1 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
Sea salt to taste

In a large heavy bottomed pot -I like Crueset for this one-
 heat the olive oil over medium heat
Add the onion and garlic and sauté until the garlic becomes fragrant, about 30 seconds
Add the tomato paste and stir with a whisk to combine
Stir in Pomi tomatoes, season with red pepper flakes and salt
Bring to a simmer, turn down heat and cook, stirring very often
until reduced to a nice, thick sauce
This takes a good hour and a half to two hours
Taste occasionally for salt and adjust when necessary
Serve on whatever you choose, or eat it with a spoon!

Enjoy your weekend everyone, and thank you.
Kyra



No comments:

Post a Comment