Friday, June 15, 2012

First Summer Bounty


My strawberries are ripening and I've managed to get a few before the birds
My roses (47 bushes) and peonies are ready to pop, at the same time!
(You have to come by the house in about a week to see - I can't wait, hmmm maybe a pop
up rose party)

And yes something ate all my melon plants that I had cared for since seed birth
way back in April, and then the crows pulled the roots out for me - nice

My carrots have to be re-seeded, not too many seem to have germinated
and the aphids tried to kill my eggplants, but they some of them seem to be prevailing
and I have three half eaten basil plants left out of 18.
BUT! 


I have lettuce!  My first harvest for dinner last night.
Renee renewed her clam license and brought home
a bucket full


 I made "foil potatoes" on my little Smokey Joe Weber grill ~recipe to follow~
cracked open a bottle of sparkling Gavi left over from the wine workshop


And we had ourselves a party!


and it was Thursday night.
Oh my gosh, this summer thing is fun!

Enjoy your weekend everyone and focus on the good stuff
Kyra

POTATOES IN FOIL ON THE GRILL

4 new red potatoes, sliced in 1/4" slices
1 large onion, peeled and sliced in 1/4" slices
2 cloves garlic, peeled and sliced thickly
Olive oil
Sea salt and pepper to taste
Sprigs of fresh herbs
I used rosemary, summer savory and winter savory - 2 sprigs of each

Pull off a sheet of foil about twice the size of your potato pile
pull off another sheet and lay it on the first one going the other way
so you make a + sort of.
Lay your potato and onion slices in the middle, alternating
them a bit, they can be stacked two high
Sprinkle the garlic over all
Drizzle with a good amount of olive oil, you don't want them to dry out
sprinkle with salt and pepper
and lay your herbs on top
Pull off another sheet of foil to lay on top and then crimp the bottom and top
of the foil together around the edges to form a package of sorts

The key to cooking these on a charcoal grill is to use indirect heat
So light your coals and pile them to one side 
When they are white and red hot
place the packet of potatoes and things on the cooler side with no
coals, this allows you to cook the potatoes without burning them to bits
before they are soft all the way through

Close the lid, leaving the vent open a bit and do something else for a little while
 they take about 20-25 minutes
I like to put them directly over the coals the last 5 minutes
to brown the bottoms
Peel back the top foil and test with a pairing knife to make sure
they are tender all the way in the middle

 Bring them to the table, unwrap and enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment