Friday, March 6, 2015

Maple Sugar Shortbread


This has been a winter for rearranging furniture hasn't it?


  I am continually amazed how I can go from wanting a new house
 to loving the one I'm in just by turning a table.

That's exactly what happened last week after I had to mop up a bit of ceiling collapse
 from an ice dam on the roof.

I turned the keeping table in the kitchen and wondered out loud for an hour 
why I had it the other way in the first place

I'm still tickled with it!


With the wine bar on hiatus until late April 
I am hoping to catch up on some other projects

( I must admit, I miss the wonderful warmth and energy of those wine bars
and look forward to them resuming)

But, I finished the baby quilt I started for my bartender extraordinaire
and had the lovely pleasure of presenting it to her today


It is made of many special bits and pieces of my quilting journeys
and feels like it echoes love and growth from the center of a loving home,
much like the space I feel this baby will be born into. 
Exciting.


The recent Pop Up Fabric Shop with Alewives Fabric 
and Rhea's Lucy Boston workshop were a wonderful success and filled Lily's
with vibrant color and creativity

 Born from the this lovely weekend
 was my development of 
a maple sugar shortbread cookie
 that I served for dessert on that Saturday


It is so good I just have to share the recipe.
It's gluten free, no refined sugar and delicious with frozen strawberry yogurt, 
but I think I'll dip the next batch into melted chocolate
Yum!

Turn that oven on and warm that kitchen up
Spring is coming, I promise!

Enjoy,
Kyra

MAPLE SUGAR SHORTBREAD

3 ounces best quality unsalted butter
Seeds scraped from one vanilla bean
1/4 cup pure maple sugar
1 cup rice flour
(I use Anson Mills, its phenomenal)
3 ounces ground almonds
 (if you have time to roast them first, even better!)
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
~
Place the flour, ground nuts, salt, maple sugar and vanilla bean
in the bowl of a food processor, process to combine

Cut butter into small chunks and add to processor

Process until butter is cut into the flour mixture
and a "short" dough appears.
This will be very crumbly, especially if your butter is cold.
That's fine.

Press the mixture into a parchment lined or buttered 
8x8 baking pan

Score lightly into 9 squares and poke each square with the tines of a fork

Bake in a preheated 350 degree oven for 20-25 minutes
or until golden brown.
~
Allow to cool, cut apart and enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment