Sunday, November 18, 2012

Sweet Potato and Butternut Squash Mash


There is a different quality to the energy in my house
 on Sunday mornings in Winter


 a wise quiet, almost like the house
knows it has survived a busy week and 


might get a little easy playtime today


Even outside the house there is this 
confident, quiet beauty


 daring me to take it in

So, Renee and I went for a lovely walk in the woods...

and I came home wanting to give you my recipe for
mashed sweet potato and butternut squash that I make all the time
 and thought might come in handy for some of you on Thursday


SWEET POTATO AND BUTTERNUT SQUASH MASH

 Something wonderful happens when you combine 
 these two orange flesh wonders.
  Roasted and mashed, 
they bring out the best in each other

I learned years ago not to let water touch either of these squash
Roasting them and scooping out their sweet flesh is the only way to go

2 large sweet potatoes
(organic garnets are my all time favorite)
1 large butternut squash
2 - 4 T unsalted butter
Sea Salt
Ginger, powdered or fresh, your choice
A bit of freshly grated nutmeg
Fresh cracked black pepper

Preheat your oven to 400 degrees

Split the potatoes and squash in half lengthwise, scooping the seeds from the squash
Place on a baking tray brushed lightly with oil, cut side down
and roast in hot oven until tender and a knife slides easily into the flesh

Remove from oven and scoop out the flesh from the skins into a bowl

Add butter, you decide how much, I like a lot :)
Salt to taste, 
ginger - I use about 1/2 tsp powdered
nutmeg, I use about 1/4 tsp
and Black pepper to taste

Use a potato masher and mash everything up until
well blended and smooth
Taste for seasoning

Serves 4 as a side dish

Enjoy!

And Happy Thanksgiving 
I hope for all of us; 
 love, laughter and good food



No comments:

Post a Comment