Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Luscious and Honey


Corn that is,
 two types,
Luscious and Honey
Bob gave me 6 ears straight off the stalks
 yesterday at Old Ackley Farm


I was supposed to tell him which one I liked best


That is like trying to pick between two of your children!
They are both awesome for different reasons

Luscious being juicy and sweet and
 Honey really had a hint of honey in it's milky goodness


After eating a little of both, almost raw, I decided to make
a very quick corn "chowder" with the remaining ears for dinner.
Wanting pure fresh corn flavor, I pureed some of the corn kernels
for the creaminess instead of adding any dairy

The flavor was outrageous

CREAM-LESS CORN CHOWDER

5 ears of the freshest corn possible
1 medium onion, diced
1 large potato, diced small
1/2 cup diced ham -optional-
3-4 cups stock or water
Fresh basil or a T of pesto
Salt and pepper to taste

Cut the kernels from the ears of corn, pureeing 1/2 of them into a creamy wonderfulness, set aside.
Cut the naked corn cobs in half and place in a small pot, cover with water and simmer for about 20 minutes to make a stock.  You will end up with about 1 1/2 cups corn stock, I added 2 cups of chicken stock to this, or you can add water.  In a small soup pot, heat 2 T oil (I used grapeseed) over medium heat, add the onion and sauté until just beginning to soften, add the ham if using and potato and continue to cook for a few minutes.  Pour in the stock, season with salt and bring to a boil, simmer until the stock has reduced by 1/3 and the potatoes are very tender.  Stir in the corn and puree, continue to cook until heated thru, only a few more  minutes, finish with freshly chopped basil or I put in a T of
pesto I had made the other day.  Adjust seasoning with salt and black pepper - eat right away.

Enjoy!

In loving memory of Chris Heanssler



1 comment:

  1. Kyra - This warms my heart more than you know. Chris made a beautiful corn chowder for me just last week, my favorite. Thank you. Cindi

    ReplyDelete