Friday, December 21, 2012

Holiday Cooking Class


Among one of the calls I received for holiday baking orders
was a request from Sustainable Harvest to do a
Cooking Class/Dinner as a Christmas Celebration for their staff


I knew with a name like Sustainable Harvest we would get along
fine with a menu of local, seasonal ingredients but I hadn't done
any holiday decorating!

I dug out a few treasured items I have saved through the years


And went outside to snip a few branches of evergreen and found some
rose hips on a rugosa over by the garden

It's amazing what tucking a few of these things around 
does for the room.  Instant Holiday!!
and it took me about 20 minutes


I had planned the menu and laid out the ingredients
so that as soon as they arrived we could get started

Menu 
Citrus Rosemary Spritzers 
Lentil Pate with Garden Carrots 
Cheddar Pecan Crisps 
Carding Brook Farm Mesclun with
Grapefruit, Pecans, Red Onion and
Yellow Birch Farm Feta 
Fresh Caught Diver Scallops,
Seared and served over
Cauliflower Puree 
Old Ackley Farm Red Cabbage
Sautéed with ginger, scallions
and sesame oil
Poached Pears with honey
and chocolate sauce



They wasted no time getting down to business


And, as often happens (thankfully)  I learned
a trick or two - here Florence is showing us how easy
it is to peel ginger with a spoon - SLICK!


They made beautiful salads while nibbling
on the appetizers they made upon arrival


and we did a few basics, like searing scallops,
and sautéing cabbage, in the "hot" kitchen.

I then freed them to go and sit at the set table and relax
as I served them the food they had prepared


Bravo ladies!

I returned home last night to a wonderful surprise.
Renee had made three wreaths and hung them around the house

We hang them inside the house, in the dining room,
kitchen and living room.

It creates such a warm and toasty atmosphere

I love simple and hope that you are all having
a really good time.

I've included the recipe for Lentil Pate 
they made last night.

Enjoy!
Kyra

LENTIL PATE

½ cup French green lentils
1 cup shallots, roughly chopped
3 cups stock
¼ tsp smoked paprika
¼ tsp kosher salt
2 T olive oil
3 T chopped cilantro

Simmer lentils and shallots in stock (salt if needed), covered,
until tender.
Drain, keeping any remaining liquid
Puree in food processor with paprika and salt, adding liquid as necessary for desired consistency.
Add oll.
Stir in cilantro

Allow to chill before serving



No comments:

Post a Comment