Friday, December 27, 2013

Sprouts!

The things I stumble into often get me
giggling, deep down inside.


Apparently seed catalogues to me are similar
to Victoria's Secret catalogues to others,
because with the simple intention of finding
Mache seeds to grow in my cold frame
I ended up buying all types of other seeds
labeled "for sprouting"

They came, along with a three page instruction packet
and it was seconds before I realized I had no idea
what I was doing.

So, to You Tube I went and I am now an official "sprouter"

What starts like this


Turns into this in about 3-4 days




And you end up with this!


Pretty neat isn't it?
Crispy, full of nutrition, kinda green and growing on my counter in mason jars
with no soil or weeding, all in the heart of winter
I'm tickled pink

These are Fenugreek, the little ones above are Broccoli,
I put Mung bean sprouts in my fried rice last night
and I am starting more.

Nothing like new growth to put a little
skip in your snowy winter step.

Speaking of winter,

I would like to end this post with a shout out
to all those struggling through
the stresses of the recent ice storm.

Gratefully, Stonington was not effected as severely as
our surrounding communities and I know that 
some folks are still without power, and at their wits end.

Here's to a happy new year.

Be well,
Kyra





No comments:

Post a Comment