Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Spices

My desire after my "spring mind cleanse" was to jump
back on and have lots of eloquent words and inspirations 
for you all.

And as much as I enjoyed my little respite and was equally 
happy to be connected again,

the recent stretch of cold, rainy weather we have been
experiencing has caused me to feel a bit lackluster in the
sharing department


However, I was inspired last night by the joys of freshly purchased
 dried herbs and spices 

After a slight flop in my culinary endeavors when I made
chicken sofrito last week with old paprika
 (from a beautiful cookbook called Jerusalem by Yotam Ottolenghi and Sami Tamimi )

 I want to share with you that it really does make
a difference in your food when you use fragrant, freshly dried
quality herbs and spices.

I roasted a chicken last night with organic thyme
from Bulk Herb Store and this new Turkish chile pepper
I bought from The Spice House called Urfa Biber, described
to me as 'rich, smokey and raisin-y with moderate heat'
It was delicious!  I quickly sauteed some baby bella mushrooms
with dried marjoram, and served them over polenta


And the blessings of some Carding Brook Farm mesclun 
with champagne vinegar and olive oil
 to make me believe that spring is actually
on its way.

I hope you are all well!
More soon and sunshine too....
Kyra

p.s. here are two other wonderful cookbooks that I
cooked out of over my little break;

Plenty also by Yotam Ottolenghi
and for wonderful gluten free baking,
Small Plates and Sweet Treats by Aran Goyoaga

No comments:

Post a Comment