Tuesday, January 31, 2012


Gluten Free Winter Squash Muffins

While procrastinating about vacuuming up all the little threads etc. from our lovely weekend affair I discovered just enough left over pureed squash to make one more batch of these delicious muffins.  Snow was fluttering outside the windows and the kitchen was so quiet, I realized that I am beginning to learn how to enjoy myself.  Except, with no one to catch me, I ate three muffins as soon as they were cool enough to handle.  Note to self: Go to Zumba tomorrow night.



Ingredients:
2 cups brown rice flour                                                           2 cups pureed pumpkin or winter squash
1/2 cup sweet brown rice flour                                                1 egg
1/3 cup tapioca flour                                                                1/2 cup oil (I use sunflower)
1 1/2 T baking powder                                                            1/2 cup maple syrup
1 tsp cinnamon                                                                        1/2 cup brown rice syrup
3/4 tsp nutmeg                                                                         1 tsp pure vanilla extract
3/4 tsp ginger
pinch of clove
1/2 tsp sea salt


Combine the dry ingredients in a medium size bowl, whisk to blend.  Combine the wet ingredients in another bowl and whisk until smooth.  Pour the wet into the dry and using a spatula, stir to blend into a smooth batter.  Butter a 12 cup muffin tin and divide batter evenly among cups.  I like full size muffins and use an ice cream scoop to divide my muffin batters.  It will fill the cups well over the edge.  If you prefer a more dainty muffin, make them smaller and you will get more ( I tried this, but then I ate six muffins instead of three and I just can't justify that).



Put into a preheated 350 degree oven and bake for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean when poked into the center of a muffin or two.


Allow them to cool for 10 minutes and then remove them from the tins onto a rack to completely cool.
Enjoy yourself and maybe a friend or two, with a cup of tea and good conversation.
That is something I definitely miss from the cafe, all the great conversations.


By the way, I LOVE my mittens!  Besides being soft, warm and beautiful they smell so good.  Kind of like if you had a sheep as a house pet and she slept in piles of your clean laundry.

Enjoy your day
Kyra

No comments:

Post a Comment